Top-ranked Warhawks men's tennis rolls past Cumberland | Schools
In its first match since being tabbed the top team in the NAIA, the Auburn Montgomery men’s tennis team rolled to a 7-2 victory over No. 11 Cumberland Friday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Tennis Courts.
With the win, the Warhawks improved to 11-3 on the season, while the Bulldogs fell to 7-2.
AUM picked up a pair of wins in doubles play as the nationally-ranked tandems of Zinelabidine Jouini and Othmane Lalami, as well as Nicolas Pinones-Haltenhoff and Miguel Grifol earned wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, respectively.
In singles play, Pinones-Haltenhoff extended the lead with a straight-set win over No. 19 Antonio M. Marcelo, 6-3, 7-5, at the top spot. Tim Hewitt rallied from a first-set defeat to capture a 5-7, 6-3, 6-0 win at the No. 2 flight, while Grifol, Jouini and Josh Reason each picked up straight-set wins.
AUM will return to action on Thursday, March 28, when it travels to Savannah, Ga., to take on NCAA Division II powerhouse Armstrong Atlantic. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
1. #21 Antonio M. Marcelo/Pedro Rodrigues (CUMB) def. Tim Hewitt/Josh Reason (AUM) 8-6
2. #14 Zinelabidine Jouini/Othmane Lalami (AUM) def. Pablo Borrero/Sebastian Nava (CUMB) 8-1
3. #23 N Pinones-Haltenhoff/Miguel Grifol (AUM) def. Jeremy Fleming/Andres Burgos (CUMB) 8-6
1. #2 N Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUM) def. #19 Antonio M. Marcelo (CUMB) 6-3, 7-5
2. #6 Tim Hewitt (AUM) def. Pedro Rodrigues (CUMB) 5-7, 6-3, 6-0
3. Miguel Grifol (AUM) def. Pablo Borrero (CUMB) 7-6, 7-6
4. Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) def. Andres Burgos (CUMB) 6-3, 6-2
5. Sebastian Nava (CUMB) def. #14 Othmane Lalami (AUM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Josh Reason (AUM) def. Jeremy Fleming (CUMB) 6-4, 6-2
Source: AUM Sports Information Director