No.3 Warhawks snap three-match skid with win at Cumberland | Schools
The No. 3 Auburn Montgomery women’s tennis team snapped a three-match skid on Friday, defeating No. 20 Cumberland 5-4 at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
With the win, the Warhawks improved to 8-5 on the season, while the Bulldogs fell to 4-4 overall.
AUM trailed after the doubles portion of the match 2-1, as it picked up a point at the No. 1 position when Jade Curtis and Tiffany William rolled to an 8-2 victory. The Warhawks dropped the No. 2 flight, 8-5, and lost the No. 3 spot by default.
In singles, the Warhawks rallied to secure the match by winning four of the five matches played. After falling down 3-1 in the contest by a default loss at the No. 6 spot, Curtis and William each cruised to straight-set wins to even the match. Chanel Cunningham rallied for a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4, win at the No. 3 spot, while Hagar Caro posted a convincing 6-0, 6-1, win at the No. 5 position to cap the scoring.
AUM will return to action on Thursday, March 28, when it travels to Savannah, Ga., to take on NCAA Division II powerhouse Armstrong Atlantic. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
1. Jade Curtis/Tiffany William (AUMW) def. Antea Dedic/Angelica Sepulveda (CUMB) 8-2
2. Alena Gizdic/Anita Racz (CUMB) def. Hagar Caro/Chanel Cunningham (AUMW) 8-5
3. Sandra Munoz Poletti/Abby Wilson (CUMB) def. No player/No player (AUMW), by default
1. #1 Jade Curtis (AUMW) def. Alena Gizdic (CUMB) 6-2, 6-1
2. #2 Tiffany William (AUMW) def. Angelica Sepulveda (CUMB) 6-4, 6-4
3. Chanel Cunningham (AUMW) def. Antea Dedic (CUMB) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
4. Anita Racz (CUMB) def. M. Fernanda Vargas (AUMW) 6-2, 6-3
5. Hagar Caro (AUMW) def. Sandra Munoz Poletti (CUMB) 6-0, 6-1
6. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CUMB) def. No player (AUMW), by default
Source: AUM Sports Information Director