No. 2 AUM men's tennis rolls past No. 5 William Carey, 8-1 | Schools
The No. 2 Auburn Montgomery men’s tennis team rolled to an 8-1 victory over No. 5 William Carey on Friday at Tatum Courts.
With the loss, the Warhawks improved to 5-1 on the season, while the Crusaders fell to 3-1.
AUM took a 2-1 lead after doubles play, earning wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. The senior tandem of Bence Toth and Tim Hewitt cruised to an 8-4 win over Jody Claasen and Robin Semal at the top spot, while Nicolas Pinones-Haltenhoff and Miguel Grifol held off Arnau Sanz and Edward Spillman, 8-6, at the No. 3 position.
In singles play, Pinones-Haltenhoff, Hewitt, Toth, and Zinelabidine Jouini each picked up straight-set victories, while Grifol and Othmane Lalami were victorious in three-set matches. Lalami rallied after dropping the first set to defeat Spillman, 2-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-4), while Grifol picked up a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 win against Semal.
AUM will return to action on Friday, March 8, when it participates in the AUM Spring Invitational at Lagoon Park. The Warhawks opponent and match time have yet to be determined.
1. Tim Hewitt/Bence Toth (AUM) def. Jody Claasen/Robin Semal (WCU) 8-4
2. Marthinius Visser/Ricky Keppeler (WCU) def. #12 Othmane Lalami/Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) 8-4
3. N Pinones-Haltenhoff/Miguel Grifol (AUM) def. Arnau Sanz/Edward Spillman (WCU) 8-6
1. #2 N Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUM) def. #10 Jody Claasen (WCU) 7-6, 6-3
2. #6 Tim Hewitt (AUM) def. Jose Ruda (WCU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Bence Toth (AUM) def. Marthinius Visser (WCU) 7-6, 6-1
4. #33 Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) def. Ricky Keppeler (WCU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Miguel Grifol (AUM) def. Robin Semal (WCU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. #16 Othmane Lalami (AUM) def. Edward Spillman (WCU) 2-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-4)
Source: AUM Sports Information Director
Top East Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- Four men arrested in connection with three Montgomery home robberies
- Air show presence may help bring jobs to state
- Maggie Street Missionary Baptist Church to hold annual church revival service
- Montgomery to host 2013 Southeastern Regional Series Capital of Dreams Criterium and Bicycle Race
- Montgomery Zoo Hosts Military Appreciation Day
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox