Top-ranked Warhawks cruise past Lee 9-0 | Schools
The No. 1 Auburn Montgomery women’s tennis team cruised past conference foe Lee University 9-0 Tuesday at the AUM Tennis Complex.
With the win, the Warhawks improved to 3-1 on the season and 2-0 in Southern States Athletic Conference play, while the Lady Flames, ranked 15th in the NAIA Coaches’ Top 25, fell to 1-1 overall.
“The team knew how important it was to send a message to other teams in the conference,” head coach Rolando Vargas said. “Lee is a very good team, so it is a great showing to win 9-0. I thought everyone stepped up and showed a lot of energy. Now we have to get ready for another tough match against William Carey.”
AUM gained control of the match early on, as Jade Curtis and Morgane Zowczak at the No. 1 doubles and Chanel Cunningham and Tiffany William at the No. 2 doubles each won by 8-1 scores. Hagar Caro and Maria Fernanda Vargas completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 win at the No. 3 position.
In singles play, the Warhawks won all six matches in straight sets, dropping just 17 games in the process. Curtis rolled at the top spot, 6-0, 6-2, while William captured a 6-3, 6-3 win against Tarah Garner. Zowczak cruised at the No. 3 spot, 6-2, 6-1, and Cunningham and Caro fell in just one game each en route to their victories. Vargas capped the shutout with a 6-3, 6-1 win at the No. 6 position.
The Warhawks will return to action on Friday, March 1, when thy travel to Hattiesburg, Miss., to take on No. 6 William Carey. The match is slated to begin at 2 p.m.
1. #3 Jade Curtis/Morgane Zowczak (AUMW) def. Tonya Walters/Tarah Garner (LEE) 8-1
2. Chanel Cunningham/Tiffany William (AUMW) def. Maclain Yowarsky/Christy North (LEE) 8-1
3. Hagar Caro/M. Fernanda Vargas (AUMW) def. Jodie Rice/Kelsey Lovingood (LEE) 8-5
1. #5 Jade Curtis (AUMW) def. Tonya Walters (LEE) 6-0, 6-2
2. #1 Tiffany William (AUMW) def. Tarah Garner (LEE) 6-3, 6-3
3. #9 Morgane Zowczak (AUMW) def. Jodie Rice (LEE) 6-2, 6-1
4. Chanel Cunningham (AUMW) def. Maclain Yowarsky (LEE) 6-0, 6-1
5. Hagar Caro (AUMW) def. Christy North (LEE) 6-1, 6-0
6. M. Fernanda Vargas (AUMW) def. Katie North (LEE) 6-3, 6-1
Source: AUM Sports Information Director