AUM Women's tennis cruise past Emmanuel in season opener | Schools
The defending national champion Auburn Montgomery women's tennis team had no problems with Emmanuel in its first match of the season, defeating the Lady Lions 9-0 on Friday.
The Warhawks dropped a total of seven games in the nine matches. Jade Curtis (No. 1 singles), Hagar Caro (No. 5) and Maria Fernanda Vargas (No. 6) all defeated their opponents 6-0, 6-0.
Tiffany William and Morgane Zowczak each dropped only one game from the second and third singles positions. Chanel Cunningham won 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
In doubles, the No. 1 and No. 3 teams of Curtis/Zowczak and Vargas/William both shutout Emmanuel, 8-0. Caro and Cunningham won 8-1 at No. 2 doubles.
With the win, AUM is 1-0 overall and in Southern States Athletic Conference play. The Lady Lions fall to 2-2 (0-1).
The Warhawks return to action next Friday in their home opener against West Florida. The matches begin at 1 p.m.
Source: AUM Sports Information Director
Top East Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Legislature passes bill providing additional protection to the elderly
- Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to hold Firearms Familiarization Course
- The Gathering of Eagles Welcome the Class of 2013 at Riverwalk Stadium
- Chick-fil-A Founder Selects Montgomery Team Member to Receive Chain’s Top Scholarship May 22
- Garrett Elementary holds end of year Teacher Appreciation and Field Day