AUM remains 23rd in ninth NAIA poll | Schools
The NAIA released its ninth Women's Soccer Coaches' Top 25 Poll earlier today, and the Auburn Montgomery women's soccer team held firm at the No. 23 spot after winning two games by a combined 7-0.
The Warhawks ended a month-long scoring drought last Wednesday against Belhaven, breaking out for five goals in a shutout victory. The team then built on this momentum on Senior Night against Faulkner, defeating the Lady Eagles by a 2-0 score.
Maria Ros Arngrimsdottir and Eyrun Rakel Agnarsdottir each scored two goals last week. Team captain Margret Albertsdottir, who tallied 12 shots over the two games, scored her team-leading 13th goal on Saturday. AUM recorded its seventh and eighth shutouts of the season.
Southern States Athletic Conference rival Lee remained in the top spot of the NAIA poll. The Lady Flames, who received all 21 first place votes, clinched their ninth-straight SSAC regular season championship.
Mobile, which has won nine straight matches, moved past Lindsey Wilson into the No. 2 position. William Carey moved up a spot to fourth, while Vanguard joined the top five for the first time this season.
Concordia dropped from third to sixth after losing its second match of the season, a 1-0 setback to Northwest. The SSAC continues to lead all conferences with five members represented in the poll.
The Warhawks (11-4-4, 6-4-1) conclude their regular season tonight against the third-ranked Blue Raiders tonight. AUM then begins play in the SSAC Tournament on Saturday, traveling to No. 19 Brenau for a 5 p.m. matchup. The Warhawks are seeded fifth for the conference tournament.
Source: AUM Sports Information Director
Top East Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- Scam targets Alabama Power, Dixie Electric customers
- Montgomery one step closer to recycling program
- Man wanted for questioning related to Montgomery's fourth homicide of 2013
- Four men arrested in connection with three Montgomery home robberies
- 'Wings of Opportunity' author to speak at Capital City Club luncheon
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox