Alabama VA Commissioner appointed to National Committee | News
Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki has appointed Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs Commissioner, retired Navy Rear Adm. W. Clyde Marsh, to the VA’s Geriatrics and Gerontology Advisory Committee.
The Geriatrics and Gerontology Advisory Committee provides advice to the Secretary of Veterans Affairs and the Under Secretary for Health on matters for improving and expanding VA’s capability to meet the medical, psychological and social needs of older veterans. It also advises VA on advances in geriatric and gerontology research, the training of health care personnel and the development of improved models of clinical services for older veterans.
The VA operates 19 Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Centers (GRECCs) and is a leader in research on the aging process and the health care needs of the elderly. VA estimates there are nearly 9 million veterans age 65 or older, representing about 42 percent of the veteran population.
Marsh also serves on the Veterans Rural Health and Advisory Committee that advises the VA Secretary on issues affecting rural veterans enrolled in the VA Health Care System.
Source: AL Dept. of Veterans Affairs Public Information Officer
Top East Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- Man wanted for questioning related to city's fourth homicide of 2013
- Four men arrested in connection with three Montgomery home robberies
- 'Wings of Opportunity' author to speak at Capital City Club luncheon
- ASU Alumnus Receives Fulbright Scholarship to Study, Do Research Abroad
- Air show presence may help bring jobs to state
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox