Police: Glade Park homeowner shot man in self defense; 2 charged with murder | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- The Montgomery Police Department has arrested two teenagers in connection with the Jan. 13, 2013, shooting death of 20-year-old Deandre Robertson of Montgomery.
MPD detectives charged Orlando Bowen, 17, and Keyon Butler, 19, both of Montgomery with one count each of felony murder and first-degree robbery. Both suspects were taken into custody Wednesday. Both are being held at the Montgomery County Detention Facility under bonds totaling $135,000.
The arrests stem from a fatal shooting that occurred in the 600 block of Glade Park Drive around 5:40pm that Sunday.
Montgomery Police and Fire Medics responded to the scene where they found Robertson's body. He'd sustained a gunshot wound and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say the circumstances surrounding the shooting initially were unknown and they would not classify it as a homicide, only a death investigation.
As the investigation continue, MPD developed information that Robertson and two other males entered the home armed with handguns in an attempt to commit a robbery.
During the robbery, the homeowner fatally shot Robertson in what police have deemed self-defense.
MPD's investigation subsequently developed information that identified Bowen and Butler as the two suspects who participated in the robbery with Robertson. Because Robertson was killed during the commission of a robbery in which Butler and Bowen are the suspects, both were charged with felony murder, in addition to the robbery charge.
Police are not releasing any additional details, including the suspects' photos, at this time.
Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top East Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- Internal investigation launched by MPD following allegations from prostitution suspect
- National magazine paints negative light on Montgomery housing industry
- Two MPS students have been selected for a trip of a lifetime and need the community’s help!
- Brian Davis Joins Trenholm Tech Foundation Board
- Trenholm Tech Foundation Board Elects New Officers
- Tuskegee election lawsuit heads back to court
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox