United Way end of year push for donations | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- Smiles and laughs as families bring gifts to place under the Christmas tree for kids at the Brantwood Children's Home in Montgomery.
It's a place of refuge for kids in the River Region and Executive Director Kim Herbert says while there's a lot of love here, it takes a lot money and community support to keep this home running.
"Raising children that's what we do so it's everything from the needs they have to making their wishes, their hopes and dreams come true as well. We provide educational services right here on campus 5th-12th grade," Herbert said.
And that's where United Way comes in -- to pick up a big chuck of those expenses.
"If we lost United Way's help today it would change our campus tremendously. There would be no way we could continue to say and do all the things we are able to do without our community support," Herbert said.
"There are about a 140,000 people that receive the services of a United Way each year," Hill said.
A total of 46 organizations right here in the River Region will benefit from the United Way's $5.6 million dollar goal this year, But that goal hasn't been reached yet.
With only two weeks left in 2012, the organization had raised $4.9 million dollars.
United way director of resource development jimmy hill say's their in the end of the year push... And along with last minute shopping, comes last minute giving.
"We have a great surge throughout and then at the very end, we are trying to peel for every last dollar," Hill said.
Leaders hope the community will do what they do best: open their hearts and wallets to help serve their community. Hill says United Way would love to reach their goal by the end of the week just in time for Christmas.
If not, he says at the very latest before the office closes for the New Year's holiday. You can even pledge your support now and pay in installments next year. Visit the "Write It Down" section of www.wsfa.com for more information. You can make a gift securely online or mail a check.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top East Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- Air show presence may help bring jobs to state
- Maggie Street Missionary Baptist Church to hold annual church revival service
- Montgomery to host 2013 Southeastern Regional Series Capital of Dreams Criterium and Bicycle Race
- Montgomery Zoo Hosts Military Appreciation Day
- Hannah Chadee Joins Jackson Hospital
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox