The Montgomery Zoo welcomes the birth of a baby giraffe! | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - Join the Montgomery Zoo in welcoming its newest family member - a baby giraffe!
A male reticulated giraffe weighing in at 145 lbs., and standing at almost six feet tall was born on July 30 to Melissa, a 14-year-old giraffe living at the Montgomery Zoo.
Giraffes are the world's tallest mammal, and males like this baby can grow to be up to 18 feet tall.
The giraffe calf, who hasn't been named yet, and his proud mother can be seen from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. daily in the African Giraffe exhibit near the Overlook Cafe, pending any severe weather conditions or health related issues.
Top East Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- ASU Alumnus Receives Fulbright Scholarship to Study, Do Research Abroad
- Four men arrested in connection with three Montgomery home robberies
- Air show presence may help bring jobs to state
- Maggie Street Missionary Baptist Church to hold annual church revival service
- Montgomery to host 2013 Southeastern Regional Series Capital of Dreams Criterium and Bicycle Race
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox