Car used in Montgomery burglary found crashed | Crime
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - The Montgomery County Sheriff's office says the car used by suspects in a burglary was found Tuesday afternoon and towed to a secure lot for evidence processing. The suspects, the focus of a manhunt for much of the day, have not been apprehended.
Authorities say the suspects crashed the vehicle, registered to a rental company, and fled on foot.
Montgomery police and Montgomery County Sheriffs deputies continue their manhunt for those who who fled the scene of a burglary in progress outside of the city limits.
The search focused on the area near Atlanta Highway and Taylor Road near the Saddleback Apartments. Authorities also deployed an air unit to assist in the search.
The close proximity of the police search to Garrett Elementary School prompted administrators to move into a "soft lockdown" in which the facility's doors were locked. The move was precautionary. Students remained on a normal schedule and dismissal, officials said.
No details regarding the burglary suspects was immediately available.
WSFA 12 News will have more details as they become available.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top East Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Bullock County Schools
- Fmr. Union Springs officer pleads guilty to theft, ethics violation
- Students who vandalized Bullock Co. High School will be allowed to walk at graduation
- Fmr. Union Springs police officer charged with theft while on duty
- Eggs, chickens and cooking oil used to vandalize Bullock Co. High School
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox